Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Give Me Jesus!






 I love mornings when I get to wake up early and begin my day at a leisurely pace, usually with a cup of coffee. This morning I sat down to drink a fresh cup of the heavenly goodness from one of my favorite mugs. This mug is my favorite because it is large (more coffee! Yay!),and a simple cross adorns it. It’s a reminder to me that not only do I want coffee to start my day, I more importantly need Jesus! While enjoying the first few sips I was reminded of two things as I watched the steam rise.

First, just as the steam lifted from my cup, I’m reminded Jesus is not on that Cross any longer. He arose from death (Luke 2, Acts). With purpose, Jesus permeates the lives of those who invite him in (Acts 2:38). The first delights of his goodness promise something rich and fulfilling as we taste what he has in store.

Secondly, when that pot of coffee starts brewing and I breath in the aroma of coffee as it fills the house my desire to drink of it grows with anticipation. Even people who claim to not like coffee (how can this be?!) often comment that they enjoy the smell-- some even going as far as to say they wished they liked coffee. I was reminded of 2 Corinthians 2:15:


“For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.”


Coffee has a distinct and pleasurable smell. If I were to spend my morning in a coffee shop, I’m pretty sure I’d come out smelling like coffee. At the very least my breath would smell of coffee. Though I fail miserably and often, I want my life to smell like Christ. Do I spend enough time with Christ to become HIS aroma? When we are filled with Christ, the way we live should be as such that others are drawn to him. Not because of anything we’ve done, but because of the change that Jesus makes within us. How can we change so that others recognize that our lives smell distinctly and desirably different?

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I didn't realize you had a blog. I appreciate your little insights and ability to recognize the bigger picture behind common everyday things. The fact that little things like a cup of coffee draw your thoughts to Christ, his love for us, and his sacrifice on the cross tells me that He is constantly on your mind and that you are looking for Him in all things. This to me is a great example of living the life of a Christian is really about. Not being perfect, not about keeping all the rules, but simply about recognizing our need for Jesus in all that we do. Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Eric. Like I said I fail miserable most of the time!
    I've had a blog opened for a long time, but only write in it maybe once a year. I want to keep it up this time though!

    ReplyDelete