Friday, August 18, 2017

David's Encouragement




Just something I wrote a few weeks ago...

The other evening I sat on my couch crying. Lack of sleep, silly hormones, and a pity party may have contributed to the cry fest, but if I’m being completely honest I was fighting with God over the reality of a situation. Of course I wanted my way!

Early that morning I had completed a devotional that challenged my heart and thoughts. I didn’t like the question I was asked and felt fearful and uncertain of what the answer could be. Fear- isn’t that often the underlying problem with our poor reactions when it comes to facing unknowns?
Recently having returned from a mission trip, one of my ‘take aways’ was that I wanted to be more mindful of how God is working in my life and those around me. Little did I know that I would also come back from the trip with an unexpected take-away. One that would lead to my aforementioned cry fest.

You know what happens when we set a new goal? Satan. That’s what. He is aware of our weaknesses. In my stupor, I definitely let him get a foothold. I was blaming God for waving something desirable in my face and then taking it away. When in reality I’m pretty sure my weaknesses and unfulfilled desires gave Satan a chance to say “look at what God hasn’t done for you…” and I listened. Even as I type this my heart is still wrestling with acceptance. However, thankfully I came across a scripture that once encouraged me in a different time of searching.

In the book of Psalms David demonstrates many heartfelt moments with God. In Psalms 27 David opens with these words “The Lord is my light and Salvation- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life- of whom shall I be afraid?” We can read of David’s struggle against his enemy and his confidence in the Lord’s ability to prevail over his enemies. David isn’t shy to ask for God’s mercy. He is quick to claim God’s goodness in this passage. David recognizes the ultimate reward and greatest desire to dwell in the House of the Lord.  As great as all this is- my favorite part is found at the end in verses 13 and 14:

“I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” (NIV)

The NASB translates it as:
 “I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living…”

I may not have a true physical enemy in my life wishing me harm as David did, but Satan is definitely my enemy. David recognized that his hope is in the Lord. He set his eyes on the Land of the Living. So when Satan whispers words of doubt and bitterness and exposes my fears, I want my answer to be such as David’s. When I find myself listening to Satan I want to shut him up with confidence because I choose to dwell on the Lord and his goodness.  Though I may be confronting real issues of the heart, I don’t have to be in despair or be fearful.

God promises that all things work for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28) It may not be in the ways we imagined or dreamed of, but he has our best interest in mind. When I find myself in times of waiting or growth I want to make God my stronghold and set my eyes on the good things he does. Let us hold tight to his promises and remain confident in belief that he is indeed working in our lives. It is not always easy, but it’s something worth working towards!

No comments:

Post a Comment